Thursday, January 06, 2011

Hand cream Ancient Egyptians may have used still good today!

We are beginning yet another round of treating Granddad for a C-dif infection.
This involves a LOT of hand-washing.
With soap.
(It is a mystery to me how anyone involved in medical care manages to keep their hands from drying out and flaking off with all the constant hand washing.)

I am going through a ton of hand lotion, which I no sooner put on than I wash it off again.
Fortunately I have lots of hand lotion which has been sitting around for years.
By years I mean decades.
I am pulling out bottles from the back of the cabinet.
Like this one:

Not a contemporary design.
I begin some archaeological analysis.
We can date the design to 1988.
The sticker shows it was bought at Phar-mor (which went bankrupt around 2001 I think).
Phar-mor was an anchor store in the Huntington Mall.
My mother had very dry skin and we were always trying to give her lotions and creams to help with it. Some she liked and used up and others were so full that after she died I brought them home so they wouldn't go to waste.
I'm guessing that this was a present to her 23 years ago...and you know what?
It is still pretty soothing.

And after I use this up, I'll bet there are even older lotions waiting!

1 comment:

elizabeth said...

I think the ancient Egyptians used cones of scented lard that they melted over their heads -- do you have any of those lying around??