Friday, November 20, 2009

What I'd like to take away...

The farm has been sold. The house is being emptied. Mimi asks if I want anything.



Yes, I do.



She means, do I want a table or a lamp? But that isn't what I want.
I want the driveway.
I want the walk up from the front gate to the house.I want the walk from the house down to the road and across it, over the pasture to the creek.
I want the cool creek on a hot summer day.

I want the sound of water flowing and insects singing.
I want the sunlight dappling the water.

I want the barn.

I want the dusty light slipping through the walls of the old hayloft.I want the dim shade inside and the bright green light outside.I want the autumn light and the long shadows of evening.

I want the early morning light on the spring house.I want the textures of stone and leaf and bark and moss.I want morels and bluebells in the spring.I want pears and persimmons in the fall.I want the steady springtime chant of frogs from the branch,

and the bawling of calves looking for their mothers.

I want the echo coming back from the barn of voices from the porch.

I want the honking of geese overhead

and the mysterious calls of owls far off in the hills.

I want the quiet still waters of the quarries.

I want the tickle of fish nibbling my toes as I float above the rocks.

I want the porch full of people,

and the picnic table full of food.

Yes, my list goes on and on.....

But since I can't have what I want, Mimi, I'll take the dresser and your grandmother's coasters.

5 comments:

HoosierKitty said...

Tears in my eyes.

Jacquelyn Nasca, MS said...

Photos and memories will have to hold you...

Andrea Pless said...

You should write a book about the farm. That Entry was beautifully sad in words, pictures and soul!

Anonymous said...

What a perfect post Mom. You captured my wishes as well.

Will

Dr. Hausfrau said...

WAAAH.