Monday, January 12, 2009

What we like

I'm teaching five weeks of preschool classes on Sunday mornings. This week I shared a very old story: The Friendly Bear (published in 1957!) At the end of the story wise old granddad gets ready to read a book to Matt, because that's what Matt likes, but first he gives Matt a big hug - and in the woods the bear gives his bear cub a hug - because that's what everyone likes. So we talked about what people in our family like. Then each child made a collage for one of their family members of things that person would like.The conversation was constant as they selected cut-outs and talked about what their Moms and Dads (and one baby sister) would like. They were amazingly on task. Some of their ideas were right on (notice all the "healthy food" for Kinsley's Dad) and some were clearly wishful thinking - "My daddy would like a doll and we would like to play with it"
They were so involved that their parents arrived before we even got to snacks.
And that's what I like!

1 comment:

The Krentz Family said...

Great idea! What fun! Keep posting them, so I can use them with Elena...