Saturday, December 15, 2007

O Tannen-boom

The tree was perfect. We set it up by the fireplace and I began to decorate. It took me one whole day to get the lights on, each one carefully positioned. Yesterday morning I began putting on the ornaments. I started with the large golden balls towards the inside. I put little glass tidbits under the dove on top. I took out the sweet handpainted glass balls and the ones with sequins from my childhood. I hung the slightly tarnished clear ball with tinsel inside from T's childhood. I put on the seriously tarnished silver ball from my mother's childhood. I smiled at the funny ornaments that have joined the collection over the years - the turnip, the pickle, the garlic, the blue hippopotamus.
Then I started to hang the little "finishers" on the tips of the branches.
And, with a horrible smashing sound, the tree flung itself down and threw all those delicate things across the floor.
I sobbed a little.
Then collected....
the shards of Christmas.

2 comments:

Dr. Hausfrau said...

Man, 2007 has been a rough year for trees at your address! I am sorry to hear of your loss...but more memories and ornaments are to come! I just happened to purchase a (sturdy)Christmas ornament for you yesterday!

david said...

That is always the fear of anyone who puts up a tree! Wow! You know, the same thing happened to Christopher Radko years ago, and that is what propted him to become a world-renowned designer of Christmas ornaments. Might the even more artistically talented Ginny Richey be similarly inspired?