Friday, December 07, 2007

Coyotes

This week I've been telling "porquoi" stories to 4th graders. One of my stories features that wonderful trickster Coyote. The classes are skeptical when I tell them that coyotes live right across the road from me, but it's true. I rarely see them, but often hear the group in full cry. You can hear what they sound like at http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/coyote.html.
Socks is transformed when the coyotes are howling. She races to the door and barks impatiently. Once outside she dashes (well, as much as a Corgi can dash) to the fence. She barks, she yips, she howls like a hound as she dances around. Her little front feet lift off the ground with the intensity of her howls.
What are they saying to her? What is she saying back? Does she think she could go run with the coyotes? Does she know she'd be a tasty tidbit for them?
I'm practicing my own yips and yowls. I want to be part of the story.

No comments: