Friday, December 01, 2006

Walkers

In the morning I have crossing duty and stand proudly beside the cross walk with a stop sign in my hand. When a walker comes, I march out into the frenetic early morning traffic and boldly stop the cars. As the weather has gotten colder and wetter, fewer and fewer walkers appear. In the pouring, driving rain yesterday only one dedicated family appeared, Dad with his big umbrella, daughter in a yellow hooded raincoat, and son hidden under a smallish blue umbrella.
"Good morning" I said, with the rain splashing up my ankles and dripping down my neck. Dad smiled, daughter smiled - and the serious looking little guy narrowed his eyes at me and said defiantly "It's my mother's umbrella".
I nodded as if this was exactly the information I needed. "As long as it keeps you dry" I said. He nodded back and splashed his way on into school.

1 comment:

Andrea Pless said...

I'm loving reading your stories about the kids! Young kids are so different from the middle school ones.