Monday, November 27, 2006

Dog stories

A small group of fifth graders gathers in the Reading Room at lunch to talk about books. "I read Shiloh" announces the hefty fellow lounging back against the bookshelves. This starts a discussion of dog stories - the quiet thoughtful guy had read Where the Red Fern Grows and most of them had read one or the other. They toss out bits of the plots. They remember that Shiloh was an award winner. "Why are they all so sad?" asks someone.
"Yeah," they all agree, "Why does the dog always die?"
"I could write a dog story" says the one who started it all. "There's a boy and he gets a dog and KABOOM the dog explodes and the end. I bet I'd win all those awards too."

4 comments:

elizabeth said...

Best dog story EVER!

elizabeth said...

Oh, I just remembered that the dog does explode in that Gordon Korman book! ("No More Dead Dogs")

Andrea Pless said...

Why is it so much more sad and appealing when a dog dies in a book, than a person? My favorite dog story is Thurman's, The night the bed fell.

Andrea Pless said...

Hmmm...I think I meant Thurber.