Saturday, January 24, 2015

Granddad in Winter

Granddad was not too sure about Christmas.
It's hard for him to keep track of the months.
He  did have a few clues that it was a holiday.
(You know he loves hats any time.)
He had company,
and he always loves having company.
He amused the folks in his dining hall on New Year's Eve.
The horn was loud enough that even the hearing-challenged heard it.
But the next day, having dinner with his family all around the table, he had to head out for the ER.
He was in the hospital for seven days.
He doesn't remember this at all.
 It was worrying enough to bring far-flung family together to visit him.
He left the hospital to return to the nursing home in palliative care.
Declining, on oxygen, not eating, feeble...
we all sat and worried around his bed.
Yesterday I went to the nursing home as usual.
The nurse could hardly wait to tell me what Granddad had done.
I expected to hear that he'd maybe sat up in his wheelchair.
Well, yes, he did that.
And more.
He'd gone off with a group of nursing home residents to have lunch at the Golden Corral.
What?!
"I filled my belly," says the man who has been refusing food for three weeks.
That Granddad!  
Just like him to go from death's door to a steak dinner.
As his favorite hat says:
"I'm 95.
I'm allowed."


1 comment:

Thayr said...

You have captured Dad perfectly!