Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Job Well Begun is Half Done

The sun had barely burned off the morning fog when the pond guy and I began working.

He waded in to the deepest part and began tugging up cattails, I waited on the bank to receive them and fling them on the tarp.

Granddad sat all morning in the bedroom watching out the window waiting for something to happen.
The morning passed without much incident.
There was the time the pond guy startled the turtle and the turtle startled him. He staggered splashing around but didn't fall in.  Good thing.  His cell phone would have suffered.
Then I nicked my finger on a sharp dry blade but it didn't bleed much.
So not much drama going on.
It didn't really matter, Granddad just likes watching people work.
Three hours later we had a big stack of discarded cattails.


The waterfall is once again visible, and the center of the pond reflects the sky again.


It was my father who used to say " A job well begun is half done."  I am telling myself this, and that this is a good start we've made on getting the pond in shape.  Never mind that I thought we'd actually finish the job in one morning.
I promise myself that I'll get back out and work on it soon, before the good beginning gets overgrown again.  When my knees recover.

2 comments:

Jacquelyn Nasca, MS said...

Fabulous!!! Looking out your window when it's all completed will give you such a feeling of accomplishment.

Cerise said...

Ah, the pleasures of watching other people work while you are sitting around. Tell Grand Dad I share his fondness for that activity!