Sunday, September 12, 2010

The old home place

I drove up through the area where I grew up while we were in Ashland yesterday. Over the Big Sandy river and into West Virginia,
past coal trains running by the road

past the little park where I worked one hot summer
past where my old elementary school building stood (the new building has two panels of stone from the old building),
up over the new bridge and up Spring Valley

and down the road to the place we used to park above our house.
This is where I lived from the time I started school until I was 9 .
The steps are still there, by the remnants of the old garage, but the steep narrow path that led down to the house is gone. We had to park up here and walk down to the house, but now there is a steep driveway up from the road in the valley and a place to park on a terrace below the house. I looked down to see the roof of the house below me. The hillside used to be so wooded that you couldn't see the house from above. The house is probably a lot lighter now. They've added on - a porch on one side, a first floor extension on the other. Bet they added a bathroom.
Several old trees remain - wonder if this is the one my dad climbed up to put a TV antenna high enough to pull in a signal over the hills?
The roads are narrower and the hills steeper than I remembered. I drove cautiously around the now-abandoned golf course where weeds are flourishing and came to the house on the other side of the valley where we lived until my senior year in high school.
The house is now home to a very nice family and very large dog.
I took their picture by the back door because this is where my family always took a picture at the end of a visit.

No comments: