Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Expect the unexpected

Ignore the horse and rider in this picture and just notice the structure we're in.Isn't that nice? Shady on a hot day, windows to let a little breeze through...

Yesterday started out as an ordinary day. It was hot, and the horse was mellow. A preschool boy was taking a lesson on a little pony as Scotty and I began to trot around.

Did I notice anything unusual?? Perhaps fewer of the ever-present sparrows who are having a fine life living on spilled grain and hayseeds?? Nope, if there were no birds in the arena it didn't strike me as anything worth noticing.

Did I look up in the rafters?? Why would I do that? Of course I didn't.

You can tell what's coming, can't you?

It was a hawk. A BIG hawk. A terribly dangerous horse-eating hawk that swooped down and smacked itself against the window. Right in front of us.

The horse and I left the ground as if we'd been picked up by an eagle.

I could actually see the white all around his terrified eye as we thrashed backwards and sideways away from peril.

He calmed down a lot quicker than I did. It took some doing to unwrap myself from around his neck.

We're both keeping an eye on those rafters from now on.

2 comments:

elizabeth said...

YIKES!! That sounds terrifying!

TemporaryLibrarian said...

It did cut our riding time short - once I was off, I stayed off!