Monday, July 14, 2008

Treasures Uncovered

The Junior Vacationeers have been searching the garage for loot.
(This all began with the search for the old skateboard.) In cobweb-y boxes untouched for over a decade they have discovered old Star Wars figures and antique jewelry. We've hauled out parts of the Death Star and little wind-up animals, old school fair prizes and Granddad H's WWII dog tags.
I have been as curious as the kids about each box we open. We've found treasures for everyone.
Mine were books. Two special books. My mother's cookbooks.
And, finally, the recipe for her chocolate icing!
The one I've been trying to replicate in all these chocolate cakes with chocolate icing that I've cooked for all your birthdays!
The recipe in this 1943 edition of the Joy of Cooking is nothing like the ones in the newer edition that I have. Just wait until you taste this! I can hardly wait for the next celebration.

6 comments:

Dr. Hausfrau said...

When is the next celebration??????????????????????????????????????????????? (gimmee!)

HoosierKitty said...

Just in time for the triple June birthday girl celebration. :)

elizabeth said...

Oh how wonderful! I'm so glad you found those!

Bill said...

I can't believe after all these years you actually found the recipe!

Bill said...

I should really figure out why it calls me bill...

Bill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.