It's the last day of school. Did someone turn the air conditioning off early? It's sweltering in the library where I've spent the year volunteering.
Piles and piles of textbooks and teacher collections obscure the desk. We work our way through overdues and lost books. I climb up on the ladder to take down the construction paper footprints that have led the way into the library all year. The librarian invites me to sit in on some of her last classes. Each class discovers what happened to the caterpillar that crawled along the storyroom vine all year (hint: very similar to the end of The Very Hungry Caterpillar). Each class sings a good-bye song to the library books to the tune of "Twinkle, twinkle little star".
Then (I wish I had a picture of this) they hug the shelves and pat the books goodbye.
Now it's summer!
Now it's summer!
No comments:
Post a Comment