Wednesday, April 16, 2008

On to the farm

It was a perfect spring day today, just the right sort of day to go for a picnic on the porch of the old farm house.
The turkey vultures floated over head and the cattle enjoyed the sunshine and fresh green grass.
The ancient pear tree, so hollow at the foot that one can't see how it still stands up, was blooming one more year.
Mimi and I took shovel and bucket up the creek bed to dig up some wildflowers.
The little white flowers were out - the little spring beauties and bloodroot and tiny star-shaped flowers whose name I don't remember. There were a few yellow trout lilies nodding here and there. I caught a glimpse of a trillium just coming up and the mayapples were just pushing through the leaves.
The ferns were delicately unfurling above last year's leaves.
As I was removing the very first tick of the year I heard Mimi gasping - Is everything all right? Yes!She found the first morel of the year!

No comments: