Sunday, August 26, 2007

The Desking Instinct

Every year when schools start, many of us feel the desking instinct stirring within us. We walk by displays of blank notebooks and unsharpened pencils and feel their potential drawing us in. "I could write something" we think, "Maybe I should take a class." We look longingly at post-it notes and highlighters, and feel an inexplicable craving for a brand new box of crayons.

This year my desking instinct was happily fulfilled by a wonderful goodie bag that was given to all the adjunct faculty.
I gloated over the treasures inside: staples! whiteout! a ruler! a red pen! a pencil box! a dictionary! and more and more - even the one thing no teacher can be without: a packet of Tylenol!
Thank you, thank you, Ivy Tech - this is one adjunct ready to set up her desk and teach!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dr Hausfrau can completely relate!

Cerise said...

Oh, I love my goody bag, too! What are you teaching at Ivy Tech? I also got some of my desking instinct satisfied by buying crayons and stuff to donate to an elementary school. I got to have fun AND feel good!